Celtic Californian

A proud Mancunian Dancer, Choreographer, Artistic Director and Performing Arts Producer who's heart is calling to her from San Fransisco.

www.brokenrose.eu

Feel free to contact me at celticalifornianblogger@gmail.com



Tuesday 21 September 2010

Don't Ask, Don't Tell

I'm sure you've all heard about Lady GaGa's address to the US Senate about the Don't Ask, Don't Tell issue. If you've been on the moon for the past week, basically she's fighting against a part of the American Constitution which states that homosexual members of the military should hide their sexuality whilst in service. I have to say, the woman makes a good point, and I'm glad that someone like her is standing for this issue.

It's a sad world that we live in when people only listen to what celebrities say, but if Lady GaGa uses that influence to bring about a good outcome, I'm behind her all the way.

All sounds good so far. But, what I find shocking is the coverage of these events in the UK. The presenters of the English programme "Live from Studio Five" commented on how they thought it was a surprise to see Lady GaGa 'doing politics', a statement which was a surprise to me - when does Lady GaGa NOT do politics? Always speaking out about homosexuality and injustice. Her music videos make a statement, and although I agree it's fun to shock people, Lord knows I done it before, but I truly believe that there's more to it than that. Take "Alejandro", for instance; religious and military imagery turned on it's head to make a statement about both areas.

Lady GaGa doesn't just DO politics. Lady GaGa IS politics. Get used to it.

Watch her address below. I only wish I lived in America already and was able to make a difference on this topic.

Much love.
CC.

No comments:

Post a Comment