Celtic Californian

A proud Mancunian Dancer, Choreographer, Artistic Director and Performing Arts Producer who's heart is calling to her from San Fransisco.

www.brokenrose.eu

Feel free to contact me at celticalifornianblogger@gmail.com



Tuesday 21 September 2010

Ready, Aim... Fire!

I'm so proud - my brother's got a job interview tomorrow. I really wish him all the best and pray (not in the religious sense) that he gets the job, but it is another reminder of my job search.

I spent hours per day (something which I have yet to see my little bro do) filling in application forms, emailing scores of performing arts companies with my CV, and sending even more to "back up" jobs, letting industry professionals know that I was searching for work, attending auditions and interviews. Because I was applying for positions in the performing industry, something which is not heard of in my family, and largely seen as far too ambitious, even for a trained dancer and Warwick University graduate with experience coming out of her ears, those jobs I was applying for tended to take a little longer to get back to me. My mother was convinced that I was just dreaming, that a job such as the one I now have (Trainee Producer at Manchester International Festival) was not possible for me, OR, as she told me more than once, that I simply wasn't trying hard enough.

Now that, I wasn't happy about. It's difficult to explain to a mother who's generation grew up leaving school at 14 and going out and getting any job to "earn your keep" that I had been preparing myself for such a job search for 5 years. All through sixth form and university, I filled my days with performing arts projects and events, many of which I was the sole producer, so that I could fill my CV and pretty much guaruntee huge chances of getting a good job in this industry at the end of my university career. Explaining this to my mother, didn't work.

I find it really difficult to understand people without ambition. I'm not saying that not having a huge ambition is a bad thing, it's just that my brain doesn't seem to work that way. I guess it must be the same when it's the other way around, and that's why my mum couldn't understand me. Everything I do is aimed towards California. It's not just to pay the bills...

...Which is why, when I heard my dad tell my mun to stop trying to change my mind about the move the other night, it made me smile sleepily.

Never give up my friends.
CC.

No comments:

Post a Comment