Celtic Californian

A proud Mancunian Dancer, Choreographer, Artistic Director and Performing Arts Producer who's heart is calling to her from San Fransisco.

www.brokenrose.eu

Feel free to contact me at celticalifornianblogger@gmail.com



Sunday 5 September 2010

Got a bit of an obsession going on...

Okay, so I've been doing some research for a new play. I've been on a bit of a vampire kick myself lately, just dabbling in some old (and new) popular culture that I haven't looked at in a while, and I realised just how much the myth, or rather myths, of the vampire have penetrated society.

We all knew that the world was in a state of infatuation with blood-sucking Romeos at the moment, what with the Twilight Saga being so sucessful, and the new "Dark Romance" section in Waterstones, but it appears to go much further than that. The idea of a vampire has become so alluring and all-consuming as a real vampire would.

For some reason, I would like to say that the British Isles (where I am currently residing) has a wide array of legends on this subject, but once again we seem to fall short in this area of folklore. Most vampire stories come from Eastern Europe, but some, to my geeky ancient historian delight, come from Ancient Egypt and the Ancient Mayans.

Vampires were once used as an explanation for the plague, and are now a huge part of teenage popular culture, seemingly resembling the lives of modern teenagers... Hmm... teenagers and the plague - I wonder if there is a connection there? :P

Anyways, I just had the urge to share that with the world. I have many obsessions that tend to rear their heads from time to time and this is just one of them. Prepare for more world, prepare for more!

CC.

No comments:

Post a Comment